Shropshire

History  

Chorley Colliery

Return

to Index

Mining

 

Mine Sites

Clee Hills

Coalfield

Coalbrookdale

Coalfield

Forest of Wyre

Coalfield

Lilleshall

Limestone

N Shropshire

Coalfield

N Shropshire Orefield

Shrewsbury

Coalfield

S Shropshire

Orefield

 

Chorley (SO70888321)

Coal

 

Opened in 1922 by A Lebeter and F Pepper and worked as a drift mine. It was taken over by the Chorley Colliery Company in 1925 and by Charles Home in 1928 but it closed that same year. The mine was reopened in 1934 by C & P Blewitt. They were succeeded by Blewitt & Sons in 1936 and the Chorley Colliery Company in 1937. It finally closed in 1946 and has since been completely landscaped. The seams worked were the Four Foot, Top and Bottom. Figures from the Mineral Statistics are :-

 

Year

Owner

Manager

Underground Workers

Surface Workers

1922

A Ledbeter & F Pepper

 

2

2

1923

 

3

3

1924

 

8

4

1925

Chorley Colliery Company

 

6

3

1926

 

12

2

1928

Charles Home

 

3

1

1934

C & P Blewitt

 

4

4

1935

J H Humphries

14

16

1936

Blewitt & Sons

45

22

1937

Chorley Colliery Company

J H Newey

46

18

1938

 

 

 

SO70888321

Winding engine house (C20)

SO70888321

Office (C20)

SO704835

Incline (sealed)

SO70888321

Shaft (capped)

SO70888321

Shaft (capped)